North East India + Bhutan
THE LAST SHANGRI-LA?
18 DAYS: SEPTEMBER 2019
KOLKATA – DARJEELING – BHUTAN
Kolkata – A wise old soul with a throbbing intensity that breeds brilliance of every emotion imaginable.
A city Mother Theresa called home.
- Visit Mother Teresa House.
- Morning market walk, a hidden treasure, for its extraordinary street food.
Darjeeling – Famed for its distinctive Darjeeling tea in the foot hills of the Himalayas, with a back drop of the majestic Mt. Kanchenjunga.
- Ride UNESCO World Heritage-listed ‘Toy Train’ the steam locomotive from Darjeeling to India’s highest train station, Ghum (7,407ft). Few journeys can match the views.
- Indulge in the champagne of Darjeeling teas in a stunning family run tea estate, with views of Mt Kanchenjunga.
Bhutan – A tiny and remote kingdom nestling in the Himalayas. Almost completely cut off for centuries, fiercely guarding its ancient traditions.
- A hike to Tiger’s Nest Monastery that hangs on a clifftop.
- Experience Thimphu Festival to see a series of highly stylised masked dance rituals from its ancient Buddhist culture.